Ohioville History

Ohioville was originally Ohio Township, formed in 1805 from parts of South Beaver Township. The region had, in years past, been home to numerous tribes of Native Americans, most notably the Archaic and Woodland periods, of Iroquionian extraction. Prior to William Penn's arrival in eastern Pennsylvania, the Iroquois tribe of the Five Nations used the region for hunting.

Ohio Township was once home to a ferry run by Maryland native Thomas Smith. This ferry transported passengers from the north side of the Ohio to the south, and back again. Near the ferry, a spring of "bituminous oil" arose that would play a crucial role in the township's development. At one time there were also several Indian pictographs. (These are currently underwater.)

Early communities

Blackhawk village was a small community on the South Beaver Township line. Its first post office was established sometime after 1837. Even earlier, the New Salem United Presbyterian Church was established circa 1798, around the same time as Big Beaver's Mount Pleasant Church.

In 1811, Four Mile United Presbyterian Church was founded. Located on Tuscarawas Road (whose name derives from the old Tuscarora hunting trail), the church was originally named Four Mile Square Church.

In 1816, Ohioville lost some of its territory to Brighton Township. With the establishment of Glasgow borough (1854), Industry Township (1856), and Midland (1906), even more land was lost.

In 1960, Ohio Township was incorporated as Ohioville Borough.

 

-Information from www.wikipedia.com-